From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-07 12:45:15

Michael Glassford wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:

[...]

>> This is certainly possible, but I don't see what the additional
>> complexity buys us.
>>
>> TryLock l( m, false );
>>
>> if( l.try_lock() )
>> {
>> }
>>
>> looks acceptable to me.
>>
>> TryLock l( m, non_blocking );
>>
>> if( l.locked() )
>> {
>> }
>>
>> doesn't seem much of an improvement.
>
> The two aren't equivalent (I'm not sure if you meant them to be): in
> your first example the constructor doesn't attempt to lock, and your
> second example it attempts a non-blocking lock.

I'm not sure where you think the two examples differ. Both attempt a
non-blocking lock.

> 2) What it buys over your suggestion (at the cost of complexity):
>
> * The ability to specify all applicable lock types (blocking,
> non-blocking, timed-blocking) in a constructor.

Why is that an improvement?

> 3) I'm proposing the use of enums rather than bools to indicate the
> initial state of the lock for these reasons: [...]

OK, let's leave the enum vs bool distinction aside for a while. The crucial
difference is explicit try_lock() vs implicit try_lock (a constructor with
the appropriate combination of arguments).

> 4) Which leads to a problem with both your proposal and mine: they
> both silently break existing code (by changing try_lock(M) from
> non-blocking
> to blocking); at least, I presume you meant that. Would eliminating
> the lock_type(M) constructor (perhaps only for a release or two) be a
> good
> idea, or is a prominent warning in the documentation enough?

My proposal (I'm not sure whether I should be credited for it; Howard posted
locks that had these properties and I merely commented) can be made to break
such code at compile time, simply by removing the nested
TryMutex::scoped_try_lock typedef (as there is no longer a need for it,
because ::scoped_lock is a TryLock or TimedLock, as appropriate).