From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-08 10:16:46

Brian,

You might want to limit posts to plain text, whatever email format your
using defeats the auto-original-indent capabilities for Outlook Express.
Also directly reply to messages that you are reading. Many use the gmane.org
newsreader interface which maintains message thread integrity.

> I don't have a vc7.1-tools.jam file. And I have vc7.0 and vc7.1

I've never heard of this file, and don't think there is one.

> bjam -sTOOLS=vc7 -a

Your building for vc7.0, I'm not sure what the -a is.

> How can I verify that it built with the vc7.1 compiler.

If you built for vc7.1 you would get libs and dlls of the form:

    libboost_date_time-vc71-mt-gd-1_31.lib

Note the vc71 in the name.

> Or am I wrong in using vc7 for the tools?

If you want to build for vc7.1 you should use vc7.1.

I would start over if I were you. Open a Command Propmpt window. Change
directory to you boost_1_31_0 directory. Type the following _exactly_ as
shown:

    bjam -sTOOLS=vc7.1 stage

or

    bjam -sTOOLS=vc7.1 install

'stage' builds all those libraries that produce .lib's and/or .dll's and
place this in the stagedir path. 'install' copies the lib's/dll's and header
files to the paths as specified in the options table at
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html.

The only problem I had was that the ooptions are case sensitive and don't
give good diagnositics if you enter things incorrectly. Also the above is
dependent on having installed the Microsoft development environments at the
default locations. Otherwise you will need to specify:

    -sVC71_ROOT="actual path"

per http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/vc7.1-tools.html.

Jeff Flinn
Applied Dynamics, International