From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-08 14:20:42

From: "Andrei Alexandrescu \(See Website for Email\)" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]>

> Unfortunately, the discussion does not flow the way I had hoped :o). My
> intent is to figure out the opinion of the boost community about the advice
> against overloading the comma, and, and or operators, given by people like
> Scott Meyers and others. Is that a good coding standard or not?

It's certainly not to be done without understanding the
ramifications. Clearly, the average user doesn't know anything
about sequence points and those of us aware of them don't always
remember all of the rules. Thus, it can be dangerous to overload
operator, and thus a coding guideline that warns against it is
warranted.

(A separate issue is whether it is the appropriate operator for
the initialization library regardless of its prior acceptance
into Boost.)