From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-09 10:46:49

On 07/08/2004 05:40 PM, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
[snip]
>> Got it. One last try -- a variation on Brian's:
>
> struct nested_base { };
>
> template <class P1, class P2>
> struct sp
> {
> template <typename T>
> struct nested : nested_base {
> typedef P1 p1;
> typedef P1 p2;
> typedef T t;
> };
> };
>
> template <typename T, typename Enabler = void>
> struct less { };
>
> template<typename T>
> struct enable_if_nested
> : boost::enable_if<
> boost::is_base_and_derived<nested_base, T>
> >
> { };
>
> template <typename T>
> struct less< T, typename enable_if_nested<T>::type >
> { ... };

There's another related problem which David might face, templated
CTOR's. As I understand (from previous emails from David), P1 and P2
are policies and the T is the referent in a smart pointer. For any
S which is a subtype of T, then the nested class would probably
have:

    template <typename T>
    struct nested
    {
        template
        < typename S //subtype of T'

        nested(sp<P1,P2>::nested<S>& a_sp)
        ;
    };

Now both P1 and P2 are in a non-deduced context and, AFAICT, there
no workaround using some helper class like the above nested_base
or Brian's i_am_a_nested_thingy. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, could someone
please outline a solution?

TIA.