From: Matt Hurd (matt.hurd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-09 20:47:48

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 19:33:39 -0400, Howard Hinnant <hinnant_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> So that's two votes for scary. I'm still undecided if it is "too
> scary". I.e. will documentation make upgradable_read_lock sufficiently
> safe? I'm hoping so, because there seems to be a vocal need for that
> functionality, and I don't see a good alternative at the moment.

Three. Too scary.

> A good rule of thumb for using rw_mutex seems to be that you should
> never hold more than one lock on it in the same thread. Now that I
> write that though, I'm wondering if holding a recursive read_lock might
> be safe enough.... haven't looked into yet. But holding a read_lock
> and an upgradable_read_lock in the same thread is definitely
> ill-advised, even if only for an instant.

I think a base level shareable mutex (rw_mutex) should not have an
upgrade from shared to exclusive. An upgradeable one is perhaps
another mutex... but I can't see how one is possible without allowing
for a failure/retry on contention of the upgrade.

To stop the deadlock an optimization would be if I can get the
exclusive 'cause I'm the only one sharing then keep going otherwise
release my shared lock and block for a write.

That is, you get away with just knowing (atomicly) there was only one
reader, yourself, then upgrade to a write otherwise you must release
your shared and wait for exclusive otherwise you will allow a
deadlock.

This will break the atomicity of the op which breaks the paradigm.
You'd have to redo your state or fail.

> At great extra expense one could put a runtime check into rw_mutex for
> one thread owning both a read_mutex and an upgradable_read_mutex. It
> would require storing a vector<thread_id> for every thread sharing read
> ownership. That would probably make the rw_mutex so expensive as to be
> useless though.

The more I think about the original use case I'm not sure I follow.

>From memory the use case was reading stuff and then if that said I
needed to write something, write it by upgrading the lock.

However, you are not going to be able to escape the deadlock in this
case _ever_. AFAICT was if two things read concurrently and need to
change state, the both can't if the states are dependent and thus you
always have a deadlock.

If they can, then the reading is independent of the writing and you
should use different locks, otherwise you need to use an exclusive
lock from the outset.

I think the upgradeable readlock is a red herring...

Regards,

Matt Hurd.