From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-13 11:29:53

Dirk Griffioen wrote:

> I also outcommented line 125.
> We will, however, upgrade to #20 as soon as possible.

Note that #20 and subsequent versions do not have
boost/serialization/shared_count.hpp but rather use a very crude hack to
gain access to private variables within shared_count. Hopefully this will
be addressed in a better way in the near future.

You might want to wait just a tiny bit. It looks like serialization may be
included in the upcoming boost release. If the release works out soon you
might want to move right to boost 1.32. If the release boggs down or for
some reason its inconvenient for you do move to 1.32 - you can use to #20.
#20 is the last draft. I've tested it extensively with 1.31.

>We have a lot of platforms here (HP, AIX, SUN, VMS, AS400 and Mainframe
>- with different versions of native compilers and/or gcc) and it is
>likely we will port to those platforms. If there's an interest, it might
>be possible to gather some figures.

Hmmm - embarrassment of riches. It is possible you might be able to run -
at least occasionally the bjam test suite for some of the less common
platforms? I would love to know how boost (and of course serialization)
work with AS400 and Mainframe(?). I believe the others are already covered.
If you're willing to run the tests, developers might be more willing the
help with the porting.

Robert Ramey