From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 09:48:29

On Jul 14, 2004, at 9:06 AM, Klaus Nowikow wrote:
> This leads to the question: are different versions of the boost
> libraries compatible with each other? Can I use a newer version of
> boost
> in future additions to our system and expect them to work together or
> will
> we have to rebuild the whole system when we decide to use a new version
> of boost?

We typically try to retain source-level compatibility between Boost
versions, but make little or no effort to retain the binary
compatibility that you would need. The basic problem is that merely
breathing on a template metaprogram breaks binary compatibility, and
nearly every Boost library requires some form of metaprogramming. You
will probably have to standardize on a particular Boost version,
compiler, and standard library :(

        Doug