From: Guillaume Melquiond (guillaume.melquiond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-15 03:41:10

Hi,

I see the serialization library uses "tmpnam" quite a lot. I don't know
what the status of this function is on other operating system. But on
GNU/Linux at least (and I suppose it is the same for any POSIX system),
it is considered to be bad practice [1]. Such a bad practice that the
linker ld is especially programed to complain whenever somebody uses
this function. Moreover, I see that Borland and Microsoft compilers
"have brain-dead tmpnam functions" [2] so a replacement was needed.

So it may be a good idea to completely remove the function "tmpnam" from
the Serialization library and use a saner replacement instead. This way,
the library tests would compile without any complaint from the linker on
Linux.

Regards,

Guillaume

[1] As does the manpage say: "Never use this function".
[2] Comment at the beginning of serialization/test/test_tools.hpp.