From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-15 14:37:37

Robert Ramey wrote:
>Mattias Flodin wrote:

>>> (ii) Requiring all documentation to support a no-script option.

>>In think (ii) is an absolute requirement. I find myself using
>>text-based browsers from time to time, especially when working across
>>an SSH connection, and I get quite annoyed by some documentation sites
>>that navigation exclusively though Javascript. I would hate for boost
>>to go the same way.

>>In addition to some text browsers not supporting Javascript at all,
>>the CERT has on numerous occasions advised that Javascript be disabled
>>in browsers such as IE for security reasons, and some companies make
>>that a policy decision.

> Actually I agree with this. I will change the serialization navigation
> pane so that it works on browsers that don't support scripting. This
> would leave the navigation pane but it would always be maximally expanded
> for browsers that don't support it. I think that would fulfill the
> requirement of making the documentation universally useable and still
> permit us to use the facility we like most of the time.

I've just modified contents.html slightly so that the expand/collapse
functionality is only enabled all of the following are true:

a) scripting is supported by the browser
b) scripting is not turned off
c) the browser is either IE or Netscape

Under all other conditions, the navigator pane is displayed fully expanded
with no graphic +/-/o buttons. The links to the actual doc pages work the
same in all cases.

I have tested this with Netscape with scripting enabled and disabled. I've
tested with IE only with scripting enabled as I was unable to discover where
to turn javascript off (or perhaps I did find it but it didn't work). If
anyone wants to tweak this to enable this functionality for their favorite
browser - be my guest. I would hope that almost everyone could find this
solution satisfactory.

Robert Ramey