From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-16 11:07:03

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 07:41:23AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> Martin Wille <mw8329_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Martin Wille wrote:
> >> Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Would it be viable to modify the build system
> > such that test binaries which ran successfully
> > get stripped after they ran?
>
> It might be possible...
>
> > Having the then unneeded debug symbols removed would help a lot.
>
> ... but it might be painful.
>

> What are the required commands to strip an executable?

with the GNU binutils the most simple command is:

  strip <filename>

There is a whole bunch of command line switches that gives you more
control over what gets stripped from the file, see strip(1). But I
can't remember ever using this command myself whence I can't say which
switches are more helpful than others.

Regards

Christoph

--