From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 09:36:49

Tonko Juricic wrote:
> First excuse me if this topic is not appropriate for
> boost developers list. This is my first post so I
> decided on asking a question rather than sending an
> empty message with test as a subject.
>
> I just built boost 1.31.0 libraries on Windows XP,
> using Visual Studio .NET 2003, compiler version
> 13.10.3077.
>
> To build both static libs and dlls I used this bjam
> command parameter -sBUILD=debug release
> <runtime-link>static/dynamic.
>
> Build worked just fine for all libs (for ex. I got
> both libboost_signals.lib and boost_signals.dll
> targets for signals) except for the thread library
> that created only boost_thread.dll target.
>
> What am I missing? Is there a reason that static
> threads library was not built and is there any way I
> can help?

The 1.31.0 version of Boost.Threads doesn't support building as a static
library; this is because a dynamic library was necessary to prevent
memory leaks in the thread_specific_ptr on Win32.

The upcoming 1.32.0 has some support for building as a static library
(i.e. you can build it that way, but you must call functions at
appropriate times-- not an easy thing to do--to prevent the memory leaks
if you use thread_specific_ptr).

Hopefully the next release after 1.32.0 will do cleanup for you
automatically.

Mike