From: Tonko Juricic (tonygeek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 12:13:35

I just started using boost on Win32 platform and the
lack of the ability to stop the thread is what
immediately caught my attention.

I understand it is difficult portability issue but
I've seen too many uses where stop functionality is
necessary.

Looking at the current Win32 implementation, I'm
afraid that adding thread stop would affect both
mutextes and condition: as these call
WaitOnSingleObject it seems impossible to stop the
thread waiting on some 'external' mutex or condition.

Off-hand, maybe TLS for each thread can have a default
stop mutex and Win32 implementation of other
synchronization primitives would always wait on at
least two objects.

It would also be nice to be able to start thread
suspended, even if I guess it can be done now with
mutex at the beginning of custom thread functor.

Tony