From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 13:13:37

Doug Gregor wrote:

> On Monday 19 July 2004 12:00 pm, Michael Glassford wrote:
>
>>David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Boosters,
>>>
>>>I've tried several times to contact Bill Kempf about moving forward
>>>with threads, even leaving him messages on his home answering machine.
>>>I've had no reply.
>>
>>That's too bad.
>

> Anyone for a Boost Road Trip? <g>

Does that mean you're volunteering? <g>

>>Also, I think in a rewrite it would make sense to ditch the MPTasks
>>implementation and assume Mac OS applications will use the pthreads
>>implementation. Unless someone wants to step forward and volunteer to
>>help with that part.
>

> Is the author of the MPTasks implementation (Mac Murrett) unavailable?

Don't know. All I know is that I once asked for someone to compile a
fairly simple change I had made or if anyone was even using the MPTasks
implementation, and got zero responses. I still don't know for certain
if the change even compiles or not. That doesn't look promising if more
involved help is required.

>>It would be a shame to have to duplicate work due to licensing issues,
>>but if it must be done, it makes sense to do it now (well, post-1.32.0,
>>of course). I'd be willing to attempt it.
>

> This is _very_ unfortunate.

That I'm willing to attempt it, or that it might be necessary?

To make sure I was perfectly clear, I'd really very much rather not. It
would be _much_ more productive to re-use what already exists even if a
complete redesign were made. I meant only that I'm willing if it's
absolutely necessary. I truly hope it's not.

Mike