From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 18:03:52

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:36:29 -0400, David Abrahams wrote
> > Thanks that's nice. I've been thinking about this more. You will notice all
> > the 'issues' in date-time amount to code in the examples subtree and
> > documentation. I've been resisting cluttering example code with copyright and
> > licensing stuff. But now I'm thinking that this can just be tagged onto the
> > bottom. I suppose docs are pretty much the same.
>
> Ah, no, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure license/copyright info
> needs to go near the top of files. Uniformity is the name of the
> game where making lawyers comfortable is concerned.

Well, I hate to get ornery, but we aren't here to serve the lawyers. I'm
certain that legally it can go anywhere in the file. When the
license/copyright is at the top it just interferes with the documentation.
Remember I'm not talking about source files in the library -- I'm talking
about stuff in the example subtree that winds up in the documentation. And if
the lawyers can't figure out how to use grep then too bad -- maybe they could
hire one of us poor programmers to write a program to help them sort it out...

Jeff