From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-22 02:34:16

In article <20040721223428.GA384_at_[hidden]>, Jason McCarty <bclg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > [...] it is convenient to have a separate syntactic wrapper that
> > delimits the URL and separates it from the rest of the text, and in
> > particular from punctuation marks that might be mistaken for part of
> > the URL. For this purpose, is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and
> > ">"), along with the prefix "URL:", be used to delimit the boundaries
> > of the URL. This wrapper does not form part of the URL and should not
> > be used in contexts in which delimiters are already specified.
> >
> > [...]
> > "
>
> I hope you realize that your URLs did not include the "URL:" prefix
> recommended above... perhaps more clients could cope if it did (though I
> have my doubts).

My quote from the RFC was not intended to be a complete treatment of the topic,
though I agree that it could mislead one into thinking that <> and URL: were
both recommended in the specific context we are discussing here. However, this
is getting off-topic for boost, so I will leave it up to you to read the
remainder of the appendix I referred to and follow up in personal email if you
have further questions.

meeroh