From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-25 15:18:00

The bcp tool is now capable of automatically converting files over to
the Boost Software License. However, we need volunteers to verify that
the transformation is correct. I have (locally) converted 1256 files
that need to be verified, and am asking for volunteers to verify chunks
of 100 files each (it won't take all that long...). If you would like
to help, please send me e-mail _privately_ and I'll assign a chunk to
you. Please tell me which file numbers in the chunk are fine (so I can
commit them) and which file numbers are incorrect.

To verify a particular file, go to:

   http://www.boost.org/all-report.html#bsl-converted

(It's an 8MB file; you've been warned). Then locate your file numbers
(e.g., 1-100) and look at the "before" (left) and "after" (right)
chunks of the file. The changed parts are highlighted in bold. Two
things need to be verified for a file to be correct (everything else is
automatic and correct already):

        1) The entirety of the original license must have been removed.
        2) Copyrights, author names, etc. have not been destroyed by the
transformation.

For instance, look at file #1 (boost/assert.hpp): the old license (on
the left) has been completely highlighted and replaced by the Boost
Software License (on the right), so this transformation is fine.

On the other hand, look at file #66
(boost/lambda/detail/bind_functions.hpp): the old license has a clause
"This software is provided 'as is'..." that has not been highlighted on
the left, and was retained by the transformation. That's a problem:
this transformation is not correct.

When sending back replies once you've finished a chunk, try to use this
form if you could:

Correct: 1-10 15-55
Incorrect: 11-14 56-70

We'll need to iterate the process a bit (as we fix up the heuristics to
get everything right), but with a little work from everyone I'm sure we
can get much of Boost converted over to the BSL in a relatively short
time.

        Doug