From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-28 07:25:21

> > I think that we are seeking for a way to avoid shortcomings of native
> > Win32 thread local storage, not Posix one. Maybe NTPL does not need
> > such workarounds?
>
> Probably I misunderstood your previous posts, but it sounded like you
> say that TSS is not needed at
> all, and should be replaced with singletons and hand-crafted thread-id
> -> instance mapping. I believe
> that on Linux, using provided TSS facilities is better, and so I need
> thread_specific_ptr. And to write
> portable code, that class should be present everywhere.

I agree, and it should be able to clean up non-boost threads as well -
consider what happens if you're writing a library, and not a program - you
then have no control over who creates threads or how they do so. I believe
it would be unacceptable to say "you can only use this library if you also
use Boost.Threads"; in such cases thread_specific_ptr is exceptionally
useful IMO.

John.