From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-29 13:25:11

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jonathan Turkanis
>
> >I agree with all of this. But I think that having a tree control
component
> >is still useful:
>
> I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Good. I think we basically see eye-to-eye.

> My experience with this was
>
> a) fiddling around with Javascript and DOM (IE and Netscape) to get
things
> to work.
>
> b) making my own tree by hand.
>
> Basically both of these were hacks and I'm happy to see a) done in a
> professional way.
>
> b) was really tedious and I saw the need to automate this process
which
> seemed very much in the spirit of Boost Book (which I havn't spent
any time
> with either)
>
> Basically we've got a) we need a)+b).

Yes. I think using the component I posted is still a bit easier than
writing out the HTML by hand, but I'd be happy to see it automated.
One option which might work now before all documentation is automated
would be to write a script (in perl, say) which scans a library's doc
directory and automatically generates a menu page. (In fact, this
sounds fun -- I think I'll try it.) Perhaps the generated menu would
require some modification, but it would be easier than generating the
whole thing by hand.

> I'm happy to leave the details to you guys as you know much more
about it
> and it seems that there is broad agreement on the basic idea.

Well, I'm pretty comfortable with javascript. I'll leave the
boost.book aspect to Reece and others.
Jonathan