From: Momchil Velikov (velco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-31 07:26:03

    Alexander> All the same ways as with copyrighted text. The GPL is not a
    Alexander> contract and there's just nothing to accept. You'll have to
    Alexander> show some copyright infringement (USC 106 though 121) without
    Alexander> using words "distribution" and "promise". Assume that I simply
    Alexander> download GPL'ed copies from some FSF's site not clicking on
    Alexander> any "I accept" buttons.

  When you buy a book you don't sign a contract too. Nor a license.
That does not mean that you have rights to copy the original work or
derivatives.

  How come with downloaded software it means ?

  I'd think making copies of the work constitutes an equivalent to
clicking an accept button.

  Besides, it is common to obtain the work and be aware of the license
afterwards. That again I can't imagine that means you're not bound by
the terms of the license.

~velco