From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-31 08:41:33

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
[...]
> > When you buy a book you don't sign a contract too. Nor a license.
> > That does not mean that you have rights to copy the original work or
> > derivatives.
>
> Nothing; fair use (fair use copies also fall under 17 USC 109, BTW)
> aside for a moment.

I meant that you indeed can't make copies and derivatives (apart from
fair use). But you own your copy and you can do things similar to

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/125_F3d_580.htm
(LEE v. A.R.T. COMPANY, 125 F.3d 580 (7th Cir. 1997))

I just quote one passage that I really like.

---
We asked at oral argument what would happen if a purchaser jotted a
note on one of the note cards, or used it as a coaster for a drink,
or cut it in half, or if a collector applied his seal (as is common
in Japan); Lee's counsel replied that such changes prepare
derivative works, but that as a practical matter artists would not
file suit. A definition of derivative work that makes criminals out
of art collectors and tourists is jarring despite Lee's gracious
offer not to commence civil litigation.
---
;-)
regards,