From: Momchil Velikov (velco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-31 19:12:57

    Alexander> Momchil Velikov wrote:
    Alexander> [...]
>> Ok, let it be making copies. So I walk into a store, buy I book and
>> I'm entitled to making copies and derived works and distribute them?

    Alexander> No.

  Just as I suspected :)

>> In the same way, I'm entitled to do the same with the Boost libraries?

    Alexander> You're entitled (see the license).

  Why should I look at the license? Is it the thing that grants me
rights ?

>> In the same way, I'm entitled to do the same with the software at
>> ftp://ftp.gnu.org?

    Alexander> You're entitled (see the license).

  Why should I look at the license? Is it the thing that grants me
rights? And if it grants me rights conditionally, can I ignore the
conditions?

>> In the same way, I'm entitled to do the same with
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/e/81ed90eb-dd87-4a23-aedc-298a9603b4e4/directx_9c_redist.exe ?

    Alexander> Ask Microsoft.

Why don't you answered "Ask FSF" above?

    Alexander> [...]
    Alexander> (2) abrogate or restrict the limitations on exclusive rights
    Alexander> specified in sections 107 through 114 and sections 117, 118
    Alexander> and 121 of this title.”

>> Not sure what do you mean by this ?

    Alexander> It means the end of non-negotiable share-alike lisenses
    Alexander> (contracts).

    Alexander> Welcome to the BSD (or BSL) only world. ;-)

As in "no GPL and no MS EULA"-world ?

    Alexander> [...]
>> Is this merely a ``display'' of the software
>> http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_31_0.tar.bz2 ?

    Alexander> AFAIK, no.

>> Is this merely a ``display'' of the software
>> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.4.1/gcc-3.4.1.tar.bz2 ?

    Alexander> AFAIK, no.

I see no difference to the way you ``display'' your file. Mind you,
on its way to my monitor it may have undergone various
transformations, compression/decompression, encoding/decoding, etc.

~velco