From: Tilman Kuepper (kuepper_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-03 01:41:52

Goooood Morning,

> Does it break program_options, or does
> it break some use of UTF-8 that you make?

Don't worry... ;-)

I wanted to use the UTF-8 converter in one of my own programs
and decided to do some tests before... So far only my test program
broke.

The program_options library might be affected (not yet tested!),
if options are read from a UTF-8 file which is longer than 8192
bytes and contains many "international characters" (i. e. UTF-8
sequences of two or more bytes).

> Oh.... this 'partial' is messy thing.

Very true.

> Unless somebody else can shed some light, there are two choices:
> 1. You can wait until I'm back from vacation.
> 2. You can figure out the exact meaning of 'partial' and send a patch.

We can do both... ;-)

I'll try to find out more about this 'partial' thing. The next step would
be to make the current implementation of the conversion facet more
robust (or to fix a bug in libstdc++...?!).

If a new version of the UTF-8 facet is available it may find its way
into other libraries, e. g. program_options, serialization etc.

Best regards,
Tilman