From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-10 19:50:07

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > --- Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> >> cxx: Error:
> >>
> /net/redbelly/scratch1/rwgk/boost_regression/boost/boost/test/detail/basic_c
> >> string/compare.hpp, line 42: #40
> >> expected an identifier
> >> static bool eq( CharT c1, CharT c2 ) { return std::toupper( c1
> )
> >> == std::toupper( c2 ); }
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------^
> >>
> >> How should deal with this one?
> >
> > This output is from our machine. I could try to fix it if someone gives me
> > little assistance.
> >
> > My first guess is that #include <ctypes> has to be added somewhere.
> >
> > Could someone give me the bjam command to reproduce the error above without
> > having to wait for everything else to build?
>
> My guess is that types.h is included somewhere, or ctypes
> nonconformingly #defines toupper to be a macro. Why don't you
> preprocess it and find out?
>
> The bjam command is
>
> bjam ... name_of_source_file.o
>
> where ... are whatever options you happen to need to set up toolsets
> and environment.

I looked around a bit and I see that the toolset was modified in May: -std
strict_ansi was removed. IMO this is not the best idea. All of Boost.Python
compiles and works with -std strict_ansi. And this works as well:

% cat test.cpp
#include <cctype>

int main()
{
  std::toupper('c');
  return 0;
}

cxx -std strict_ansi -tlocal test.cpp

I am afraid I don't have time to fix the toolset. What I can offer is ssh
access to our machine and the compiler/linker commands that work for
Boost.Python (I am using SCons).

Ralf