From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-13 07:47:27

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > I am having a windows MFC app that dynamically links to the regex lib.
> > On application shutdown the memory leak detection kicks in and diagnoses
> > leaks in the regex dll. If I use the static lib everything seems to be
> > fine.
> >
> > I have to admit that I don't have a clue what's going on. Any ideas?
>
> Nope, no idea either. However one thing that can happen: the regex
library
> initializes itself when it's first used, but then doesn't free itself
until
> the program exits, in fact with a dll regex lib, the regex cleanup occurs
> after your exe has terminated doesn't it? So maybe this "asynchronous"
> behaviour could the cause of your problems, but I can't be sure.

I would assume that Thomas sees that the leak is always the same size.

I've found this to be a common occurrence with VC in debug mode when using
dlls that allocate memory on startup, and don't free until after VC's memory
debugger has reported the leak. I recently saw a newsgroup posting that
purported to have a 'fix' for this issue. Unfortunately I can't
remember(oldtimers disease) the newsgroup, or the message text. I'm sure it
was within the last month somewhere under microsoft.public.* or comp.os.*.
I'll see if I can track it down.

Jeff F