From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-13 10:07:05

> Does anyone know a work around that does not need the typedefs? I had
> a look at the preprocessor library but I couldnt come up with a
> solution. Is there an alternative to the macros for registering types?

The BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT facility has been a struggle to get implemented so
that it can be used in a natural way. Besides the problem you mention here
(which is a new one for me) There were some new ones that have become
apparent with compilers that use two-phase lookup. Another problem is
over-zealous unreachable code optimization of some compilers eliminates the
code that implements the serialization. The fix for this is inherently
non-portable.

Subject to the above it does work - but is kind of fragile and really not
quite right - it will need to be re-implemented (yet) again. So I'm
interested in your cases. Is it possible you could make a few boostified
test programs that we would like to see work but currently fail at compile
time?

The really funny part about BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT is that is started out soooo
simple and ends up touching on all sorts of unexpected difficulties. The
good part is that its not a fundamental building block of the system so
fixing it up won't impact the rest of the system. So there is hope.

Robert Ramey