From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-22 18:54:11

At 05:15 PM 8/22/2004, David Abrahams wrote:
>Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> >Yeah. But IMO on cygwin boost::filesystem should handle both
formats.

>> It does. The docs were updated after the last release to make that
>clearer.
>
>That's not what I meant. It should support both formats in a single
>build, just like most cygwin tools do.

There are two issues; behavior of certain functions and path formats. The
function behavior (dealing with what is a relative path) has to be selected
at compile time unless we added runtime option arguments to select
behavior, and every time we have looked at that it became unworkable. I
guess we could provide addition functions with different names, but we
already have quite a number of path decomposition and query functions. I'd
like to see a compelling use case that the current path member functions
can't handle.

For formats, we do provide runtime selection. I think "native" already
provides what is being asked for here.

> dave_at_penguin ~
> $ ls c:/boost/index.htm
> c:/boost/index.htm

That should work.

> dave_at_penguin ~
> $ ls c:\\boost\\index.htm
> c:\boost\index.htm

The double backslashes are not valid at those locations in a Windows native
path. And yes, I did a test to verify that, using an XP machine. I guess we
could provide a cygwin extension that allowed them, but my intuition is
that would be a bad idea. Cygwin may fix the bug in the future.

> dave_at_penguin ~
> $ ls /cygdrive/c/boost/index.htm
> /cygdrive/c/boost/index.htm

Should work, AFAIK.