From: Patrick Bennett (patrick.bennett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-22 21:44:51

Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

>"Patrick Bennett" <patrick.bennett_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>

>>The fact that boost::filesystem has zero support for
>>internationalization kills it for me.
>>Ideally, it would just use UTF-8 for everything.
>>

>wpath support seems to be in the works. See
>http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg60423.php.

What is described in that posting wouldn't be correct for Windows.
Win32 is UCS-2 natively, but having filesystem generically expect
wchar_t* UCS-2 strings for all api's on Windows and char* UTF-8 strings
on Linux isn't acceptable.
(at least that's how I interpreted the post - since it mentioned using
the same external representation as the internal representation).
It should be char* (and std::string) UTF-8 strings throughout for all
platforms - passing as-is for platforms like Linux, and converting
to/from UCS-2 on Windows. I can't speak for other platforms as I'm most
familiar with Windows and Linux.

Patrick Bennett