From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 11:18:04

--- Reece Dunn <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Thus, in Java Swing-style C++, you can do something like:
>
> boost::gui::frame * main = new boost::gui::frame( "My GUI App" );
> frame -> set_pane( new boost::gui::button( "PUSH" ));
> frame -> set_size( 500, 400 );
> frame -> show();
>
> boost::gui::message_loop msg;
> return msg.execute();

How does main get deallocated here?
I am very surprised to see "new" and raw pointers in a library designed from
scratch. Manual lifetime management is going to lead to a lot of clutter,
memory leaks, and is incompatible with exception handling. A system based on
smart pointers like boost::shared_ptr and reference-counted container types is
essential IMO.
Ralf