From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 14:48:22

On 2004-08-25, Johan Nilsson <johan.nilsson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Sorry for breaking into this thread as I'm not a boost developer, but IMHO
> something seems really wrong with the SCM if you need to wait two months
> doing nothing. Why not branch for release right now, let people fix the
> issues on the release branch and merge back to the main trunk when it's
> complete (IIUC you use the main trunk as the active development line). This
> would let people who are working on new or updated functionality to proceed
> on the main trunk.
[...]
> Has anyone considered using Perforce instead of CVS?

CVS has its problems, but coping with the type of release cycle
you describe isn't really one of them. It might not be as pretty
as one might like, but it isn't a particularly difficult thing to
do. It might, of course, not be an approach which is deemed
practicable.

The problem with getting the 1.32 release out the door (whatever it
might be) won't, I suspect, be solved by using a different SCM...

phil

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email