From: Mathew Robertson (mathew.robertson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 17:50:13

> > Getting back to what was origonally said - if one platform implements
> > something that another platform doesn't, how can a cross platform library not
> > re-invent the the wheel for that crummy platform?
>
> In that case you are not reinventing an OS-provided wheel. Your case in point
> has nothing to do with my point.
>
> I am talking about the case where a cross-platform library uses non-native
> implementation of facilities that exist natively, and does so in a way that is
> not compatible (in terms of user experience) with the native facility. Case in
> point: text edit fields in Mozilla do not behave the same as text edit fields in
> every other Mac app.

good example - text fields in Mozilla work the same way as Win32 edit fields, and mostly the same way as edit fields on most Linux libraries.

So do the Mozilla coders choose to implement different functionality for a different platform, or do they make the application interface consistant across all platforms? If the answer is OS consistancy (rather than application consistancy), then we are back to square one of ont having a truely cross-platform library.

Mathew