From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-27 08:20:39

David Abrahams wrote:
> Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > Could you clarify? To be exactly specific, if I have a file with the
> > following content, as a part of Boost.Build test:
> >
> > int main() { return 0; }
> >
> > why does it need copyright?
>
> Files without copyrights make corporate lawyers nervous, and that's a
> barrier to adoption. If everything in Boost is copyrighted, there
> won't be any problem with dropping a Boost release on a corporate
> server.

*Any* file without copyright? What about 'boost.css' or 'c++boost.gif' for
example? What about BoostBook DTD, which has the following:

   Copyright (c) 2002 by Peter Simons <simons_at_[hidden]>.
   All Rights Reserved.

What about tools/regression/xsl_reports/merger/__init__.py

And, for a completely interesting question, whose copyright should be on
'status/explicit-failures-markup.xml'? Of all the authors?

The reason I'm asking all this is that it seems that a lot effort was already
spend to add copyrights, and more is likely to be spend and I find it hard to
believe that lawyers will examine every single file of Boost. Maybe, just
headers and the code which goes into compiled libraries really need to be
license-clean.

- Volodya