From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-27 14:23:32

From: Howard Hinnant <hinnant_at_[hidden]>

> Alternative names:

Now that you raised a flag on the "move_ptr" name, I do agree
that it isn't appropriate. "Move" is a verb, so "move_ptr" looks
like a command.

> owned_ptr

Many pointers are owned, they just have differing ownership
semantics.

> unique_ptr

There are many unique pointers, but they aren't necessarily
movable or, rather, subject to being moved.

> sole_ptr
> solo_ptr

ditto

> exclusive_ptr

Many pointers have but one owner, but that doesn't mean that they
are movable.

> lone_ptr
> only_ptr

Similar to unique_ptr.

> unshared_ptr

This has the right idea. It says that there is no sharing; that
there can only ever be one owner of the resource at a time.

> selfish_ptr

I don't think we need to condemn the pointer for its acting as
designed, do you?

I thought of "movable_ptr," but that's wrong because it suggests
that the pointer *may* be moved, but doesn't have to be moved.

How about "moving_ptr?" That suggests the transitive nature of
ownership, doesn't it? "transitive_ptr?"

How about something along the lines of "nonloyal_ptr?" That is,
it has no allegiance to a single owner, but moves among them at
will (well, not quite that freely, but I'm sure you get the
idea).