From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-28 01:47:50

On 8/24/04 2:18 AM, "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[SNIP]
> I think Daryle's pointer streams and null streams are useful, and may
> vote for their acceptance, but believe they would be better
> implemented as Sources and Sinks. Most of your ideas below also fit
> easily into this framework.
>
> For example, using my library, a null_buf and null_ostream can be
> defined as follows:
>
> struct null_sink : boost::io::sink {
> void write(char*, std::streamsize) { }
> };
> typedef boost::io::streambuf_facade<null_sink> null_buf;
> typedef boost::io::stream_facade<null_sink> null_ostream;
>
> Pointer streams can be defined like so:
>
> typedef boost::io::streambuf_facade<boost::io::array_resource>
> pointerbuf;
> typedef boost::io::stream_facade<boost::io::array_resource>
> pointerstream;
[TRUNCATE the more complicated ideas]

But why go through all the trouble to forcing an idea through a framework,
which is built on top of the Standard I/O framework, when the idea is simple
enough to go through the Standard framework directly?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie