From: Thomas Stevens (thomathoma69_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-30 02:36:28

Hi,
forgive me for my ignorance but I'm a boost newbie...

The rationale document for boost::fsm states that the library should meet a
number of requirements, numbered from 1 to 9. Especially, the sixth requirement
says "support the development of arbitrarily large and complex state machines.".

Ok, this may be good - I guess it is in fact good. But I'm a bit anxious that
this implies that the library is therefore not suitable for enviroments where
no unnecessary overhead is acceptable, like in many embedded applications.

However, the seventh requirement indicates that my worries are unjustified
since it reads: "allow the user to customize all resource management so that
the library could be used for applications with hard real-time requirements".

And further down the Rationale document one can read a section on the Resource
usage of Memory which looks good.

So, just to be sure, is boost::fsm suitable for the development of embedded
applications where constraints such as memory footprint is an issue?
(Hopefully, someone can answer this based on the experience of using the
library or by knowing the code - not by reading the documentation (like me ;-)).

Thanks,
Thomas S.