From: Glen Knowles (gknowles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-02 12:30:43

> From: David Abrahams

> function, maybe
> >>
> >> It's up to the thread lib guys to use it (or not), maybe you could
> >> hassle the authors of the thread lib you are using to provide a
> >> standard function signature?
> >
> > There is no pthread_yield in POSIX. Yields are evil anyway. ;-)
>
> Why evil?

There's a lot of backing for this, and the best single comment is probably:

....Similarly, sched_yield() can be used to resolve some problems
on a uniprocessor, though such problems can usually be solved more
cleanly in other ways. Using sched_yield() will never solve a problem
(unless the problem statement is "the performance is too good") on a
multiprocessor, and you should never use it there.
- Butenhof

Glen