From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-04 15:17:06

"Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> It's been nearly a year since I first announced my intention to build a
> new regular expression engine. It has finally reached a point where I am
> comfortable recommending it for general use.
>
> << xpressive 0.9 >>
>
> http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/libs/xpressive

Looks great!

A few questions. (Please forgive me if they are answered in the docs, I haven't
finished reading them):

- Have you considered allowing format strings to be bound statically?
- Have you considered using _1, _2, _3 instead of s1, ... for capturing
paretheses? You could also use them as placeholders in statically-bound format
strings.
- have you considered overloading operator/ to emulate perl syntax for
substitution. E.g.,

    s/expr/fmt,
    sub/expr/fmt, or just
    expr/fmt

could return a function object with templated operator which invokes
regex_replace.

Just some thoughts ....

Best Regards,
Jonathan