From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-06 08:21:14

I'm slowly designing the addition of serialization support to
Boost.MultiIndex, and come up with a need that, AFAIK, the
current serialization library does not cover:

The serialization of a multi_index_container should ensure that
the order in which elements appear is preserved for all indices
of the container. This implies serializing the elements and then
recording the appropriate rearrangements in each index. I'm
writing the code for serializing these rearrangements in
an efficient manner as some sort of "diff" sequences, using
an algorithm called "longest increasing subsequence" (LIS).

The algorithm would greatly benefit for some low-level API
by the serialization lib that, given an object reference, would
return the order in which that object was serialized. I guess this
information is already available internally, as the lib must keep
track of previously saved objects.

If this requirement is deemed too exotic to provide to the
general user, well, I can write something myself without aid from
the lib, but I thought I should ask at least :)

Thank you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo