From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-12 16:31:17

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:15:46 +0200, Carlo Wood wrote
> Right now I am stuck - I need a demultiplexor library that works on
> at least windows and linux BADLY. I will have to make a start with
> this because there is not really anything else I can do (except when
> say, I'd quit working on my current project and continue with my
> ECC project that has been put in the freezer a while ago).

Well, if you have time and can take the risk of using pre-beta libs then I
would encourage you to help on boost.socket et. al. Honestly, I think there
isn't much overlap between boost.socket and IOStreams. In previous
discussion, we hashed around the idea of having a streambuf and stream to use
with sockets -- it's been so long since I looked at it I'm not sure what if
anything got implemented.

Also, if it's just multiplexing then there were a few ideas we discussed --
again I don't think there's implementation of all these things yet.

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket/Multiplexing

If you can't wait or depend on pre-beta software then really you should
consider using ACE. There's lots of things about ACE that are ugly, but there
are plenty of things to like. It's robust, cross-platform, and used on real
projects everywhere -- you can count on it actually working.

I still want to see a modern replacement adopted into boost, but you have
figure it would be at least a year out -- assuming someone was really working
on it :-(

Jeff