From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 00:25:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Secret handles and descriptors: Enemies of
reuse,conspirators with frameworks.

<snip>

> > If a Scheduler is created around a troublesome waitable service (i.e.
> > one that refuses to expose its handles), doesnt this achieve the
uniformity
> > across asynchronous activity that you are pursuing?
>
> You totally lost me here...

If we want to be able to respond asynchronously to all waitable services
by executing some chunk of predetermined code, then the Active Objects
pattern can be applied to achieve Aarons goal. This application looks
similar to Aarons but different in that there would be one _or more_
demultiplexors. The reasons for splitting an app into multiple
demultiplexors
would include those troublesome waitable services; just dedicate an
entire demultiplexor to the varmint and see if that solves the problem.

Dont know if that has helped. After reading your response I suspect that
even applying this pattern there may be some APIs (to those damn services)
that might still prevent the ultimate goal.

Sorry but I've run out of time. I will check on this thread tomorrow.

Cheers,
Scott