From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 08:40:49

George M. Garner Jr. <gmgarner_at_[hidden]> wrote:
 [Jonathan Turkanis wrote:]
> > Dumb question - is Winzip supposed to be able to read the zlib
> > format? I usually use it to decompress .zip or tar.gz archives.
>
> Well I made that assumption because Winzip and XP both maintain
> associations for the .z extension. This is from the Winzip help
> file:
<snip>

The ".Z" extension is conventionally used for files compressed with
the Unix "compress" program, which uses LZW. zlib and gzip were
created to provide a patent-free alternative to it. They use the
same compression algorithm as PKZip and WinZip but do not use the
PKZip file format. I doubt that WinZip has any support for raw
compressed files.