From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 09:17:20

Hi Carlo,

 --- Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> a few quick questions (call me lazy ;)...
>
> - will asio use epoll on modern linux boxes?
>
> - will asio use kqueue when that is available on other OS?

At the moment, the answer to both the previous questions is no. The
only implementation it currently uses on Linux is select-based.
However, the API has been designed to transparently support other
mechanisms such as epoll, for when I get the time to add them :)

> - What does asio use on windows? Is that also scalable
> to 20,000 socket descriptors, like epoll and kqueue are?

It uses IO completion ports. I'm afraid I don't recall any numbers, but
certainly they scale to the thousands. I believe Microsoft pushes them
as the most scalable way to write servers on Windows.

Regards,
Chris