From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 15:04:08

"G. Wang" <visionsoft_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi, all,
>
> Unification and backtracking are the two key concepts of Prolog language.
> Prolog language is one of the preferred ways to develop "intelligent"
> software.
>
> I am wondering how many people here are interested in a Boost Unification
> and Backtracking Library (UBL). UBL will implement the unification and
> backtracking feature with the help of both preprocessor meta-programming
> (Boost Preprocessor library) and template meta-programming (MPL). With UBL,
> you will define Prolog-like predicates right inside your C++ code.

I'm interested. My first question would be, "what kinds of real
problems can I solve better/more easily/more expressively with UBL
than with approaches we already have available?" That's the test that
FC++ wasn't able to pass convincingly in its review. It provided a
new, interesting programming paradigm, but we couldn't figure out why
any C++ programmer would find it indispensable. How is UBL different?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting