From: George M. Garner Jr. (gmgarner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 15:49:17

Johnathan,

> I'm inclined to parameterize converter by a codevt type, as suggested by
> George
> Garner:
>
> template< typename Resource,
> typename Codecvt = fetch_from_global_locale >

Good. To amplify on why this is needed, let me note that there are
non-traditional applications that should be considered for an IOStreams
library. String search algorithms (e.g. Aho-Corasik) are commonly used to
match genetic patterns and molecular sequences. Perhaps someone will want
to use your streams to convert between DNA and RNA "code pages."
Parameterizing the converter makes that possible.

Regards,

George.