From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 17:28:01

Paul A Bristow wrote:
>| [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Reece Dunn
>| > One thing I would REALLY REALLY like is a Boost 'Standard' way of
>| >colouring and indenting code similar to Visual Studio IDE -
>| though I don't
>| >feel their colour scheme is quite as good mine!
>|
>| What do you think about the new Boost.quickdoc? The docs for
>| quickbook are
>| available at http://tinyurl.com/64el7, and the source is at
>| http://tinyurl.com/4tdjj. Thanks to Eric and Joel for this great tool.
>
>I don't like the greyed background to anything. I don't think it helps at
>all.
>It makes things take longer to print out if you need a paper copy - when
>the
>going gets really tough.
>Nor do the boxes around really help much either, but they at least don't
>hinder.
>
>The coloring isn't strong enough for my taste - using blue for keywords is
>great help in reading,

IIUC, this can all be controlled via the CSS, e.g.:
   .keyword{ color: red; font-weight: bold; }

>My view is that color is a massive hit in helping people to read code,
>especially if it can be applied uniformly, something that Boost could
>'impose'.

This is true and would be where QuickDoc --> BoostBook --> HTML+CSS pays
off. I am not sure about how the styling is controlled in XSL:FO+PDF,
though.

QuickDoc for syntax highlighting the C/C++ code; BoostBook for a consistent
documentation format and CSS for consistent styling.

Regards,
Reece

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/