From: Carlo Wood (carlo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 17:54:41

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:27:12PM -0500, Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:
> -100 sockets: implemented using I/O completion so they trigger with
> APC's [..snip..]

> > of 64? And 2) How can I use that to wait for events on SOCKET's? The
[...]
> 2) IO completion routines.

Thanks. Please remember that I have no experience with windows whatsoever.
I never heard of IO completion ports before (this shouldn't be a problem,
I can bite in a topic like a pitbul and in a month I should be an expert
in the field ;).

I asked my personal windows guru to give me an url about IO completion
Ports and he told me:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/i_o_completion_ports.asp

To my surprise, and possibly to your surprise as well ;), this starts as follows:

<quote>
I/O completion ports are the mechanism by which an application uses a pool
of threads that was created when the application was started to process
asynchronous I/O requests. These threads are created for the sole purpose
of processing I/O requests.
</quote>

So... there we have our hidden threads!
Did you know this?