From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-13 23:59:17

> =========== Is UBL feasible?===================
>
> The short answer is yes. I already have the prototype up and running in VC++
> 7.1. The 8-queen problem takes less than 28 seconds on my Athlon 2200+ to
> find all answers.

How much does the plain prolog version take on the same hardware? I assume
the motivation for using C++ is a speed-up?

And how many lines of code was the C++ version compared to the prolog one?

Is there a native C or C++ solution to the 8 queen problem for comparison?

> 2. syntax wise UBL predicates are not as straight-forward or visually
> appealing as the equivalent predicates in Prolog.
[Example included at bottom]

I think you will have an uphill battle to persuade people to use the library
because of this. Is a compiler or macro feasible to allow me to write the
prolog one liner and have it turned into the C++ equivalent. (I don't use
prolog but could understand and appreciate the prolog code example.)

Darren

Here is a predicate in