From: Tommy (tommyboost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-14 04:12:57

Hi Aaron

I've been following the threads spawned by you and Carlos with great interest!
And this proposal is interesting indeed! As far as I can tell, I like your
approach.

I'm not sure how, but I think I have a hunch how the demultiplexor can be used
in conjunction with other components, such as threads, to realize
functionalities on a higher-level such as a socket library but I relly would
like to see some diagrams and more code and examples - please!

You asked us to forget all about event handling, but... I'm not sure whether
the event demultiplexing model is synchronous or asynchronous? (Compare the
patterns Reactor (sync) and Proactor (async) as described in POSA2. Btw do you
consider ACE's implementation of these patterns "big, clunky, monolithic
demultiplexors"?)

I strongly agree with you that the demultiplexor library should not use threads
as those are part of the concurrency model - separation of concerns. However,
if needed, it should of possible to combine a synchronous event demultiplexer
together with a thread-pool to implement the Leader-Followers pattern via a
thread-pool reactor.

/Tommy

PS.

I'm confused regarding the use of the terms multiplexor and demultiplexor. I
hope you mean demultiplexor when you say multiplexor - right?