From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-15 11:50:47

"David Bergman" <davidb_at_[hidden]> wrote
> Andy wrote:
>
> > The other concern may simply be the perceived complexity of templates.
>
> No, the *actual* complexity. Most "GUI" programmers happen to be quite
> junior, and templates are tricky. Types not consisting of one simple
lexeme
> are complex. [And typedef's do not save that...]

Gee someone oughta sit down and write a book.. I dunno about ... erm
metaprogramming and stuff.
I guess that might help. Gee... but pigs might fly. These boosters just
want to keep all this useful info to themselves. ;-)

> Regular programmers cannot use templates more than via very simple
patterns,
> such as smart pointers (actullay popularized via Microsoft's Active
Template
> Library, I think), and they can certainly not create their own templates.
> have interviewed about a hundred "expert C++ programmer" (from the
> resume...) of which three (3) had ever created his/her/its own template,
and
> zero (0) had ever used either templates as template parameters or nested
> template instantiations.

Again I refer you to the code in my original post. There is really nothing
complicated in the body of the function IMO.
And you have to start somewhere. Give them a chance.... and who knows.

> I would love to see a GUI library that is for those who have not only
dipped
> their toe into the strange, but beautiful, waters of generic, and
> generative, programming, but for those who can actually swim in it. Ok, it
> would not get a "wide" appeal. So, what?

Somebody Stop Me! ... :-)

regards
Andy Little