From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-17 14:57:26

"Fernando Cacciola" <fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> "Fernando Cacciola" <fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> Fortunately, they seem to fulfill their intended purpose, at least
>>> with Optional.
>>
>> Problem is, I can't tell what that purpose is. I think I might have
>> a use for such a thing, but I can't tell.
>>
> Ok, I just checked in a draft of the new documentation.
>
> libs/utility/in_place_factories.htm
>
> This superseeds the documentation in Optional.
>
> I hope you can make sense out of this stuff now.
> I'll finish the new document and update the optional doc soon.
>
> This stuff is supposed to be used by end users, so the new documentation
> talks about it being on /utility instead of /detail as it is now.
> It also uses the 'correct' class names.
> However, I haven't move nor change the code yet as I'm not sure if today is
> a good time for doing that (becaue of the branch for release)

This still doesn't explain how to use these factories with
boost::optional. It's all very abstract. Which of boost::optional's
interfaces interact with this stuff? What is the concept requirement
on those interaces? How do specializations of these factory class
templates fulfill those concept requirements?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting