From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-19 09:59:14

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> [...]
> Just wanted to mention here, that I've used const_string as a plug in
> replacement for std::string for my Wave library and succeeded without any
> further problems. Moreover, the const_string class gave a perfomance boost
> of about 20% if compared to the flex_string and about 100% if compared to
> the std::string (I can provide the concrete numbers, if somebody is
> interested). But these numbers certainly very specific to Wave and its
> applications.

Excellent info, Hartmut. Anyway, it doesn't bother me that they are
Wave-specific numbers, because that's the point, isn't it? You wouldn't
use const_string<> as a wholesale replacement for std::string<>, but if
you choose it in an appropriate application, you *can* realize up to
100% performance improvement. The fact that this is demonstrated in
Wave, and not an artificial benchmark makes it a very valuable test
point, in my opinion.

Dave